20th Century Europe: Turkey, Germany, Belgium and France
A survey of key moments in European 20th-century history.
This 16 day program is designed specifically for senior secondary students of Modern History. The itinerary focuses on key historical moments in the 20th-century from World War I, through the interwar years and World War II, to the post-Cold War modern world.
Explore the exotic mix of classical, Byzantine and Ottoman cultural heritage in Istanbul. Spend time on the battlefields of the Western Front and examine Australia’s role in the conflict. Learn about the rise to power of the Nazi Party in Nuremburg and Munich. Explore the sites relevant to the Third Reich, the fall of Hitler and the resulting Cold War in Berlin. In Paris, visit world-class museums such as the Louvre and the Military Museum at Les Invalides.
Summary itinerary and highlights
- Day 1: Depart Australia.
- Days 2-3: Istanbul. Visit the city’s most popular sites, including the Blue Mosque and the Grand Bazaar.
- Days 4-5: Çanakkale. Detailed exploration of the Gallipoli Peninsula, including Anzac Cove and Lone Pine.
- Day 6: Munich. Orientation walking tour of the centre and dinner in the Hofbrauhaus.
- Days 7-8: Nuremburg. Visit to Dachau Concentration Camp. Tour the Nazi Party Rally Grounds and visit the Palace of Justice.
- Days 9-10: Berlin. Explore the Story of Berlin museum and see historical sites including Brandenburg Gate and the Reichstag.
- Days 11-12: Ypres (Belgium). Stop at the sites of important battles and moving memorials relevant to Australia’s involvement in WWI. Visit the In Flanders Field Museum and taste the local chocolates.
- Days 13-14: Paris. Tour the Somme Valley battlefields and memorials en route to Paris. Explore the Louvre and Les Invalides. Ascend the Eiffel Tower and enjoy dinner on the Champs-Élysées.
- Days 15-16: Depart Paris and arrive Australia.
- Rome, Pompeii, the Western Front & Paris
- Roman History and 20th Century Germany
- Ancient and Modern China
- 20th Century Europe: Turkey, Germany, Belgium and France
- 20th Century Europe: France and Germany
- The USA: From Revolution to the Modern World
- Imperialism, Revolution and Power in China
- 20th Century History and Revolutions: France, Germany, Russia