Imperialism, Revolution and Power in China
Chinese history from the age of imperialism to the modern world
This 10 day tour is specifically designed to enhance students’ understanding of Chinese modern history and culture. As one of our most important neighbours, China is a key element of history in the new Australian Curriculum. Australia’s engagement with Asia is also a cross-curriculum priority in the new Australian Curriculum, creating a relevant link across all subject areas. The changing characteristics of power over time are discussed through visits in Beijing and the former capital Nanjing. Key sites related to the cultural revolution will be visited in Yan’an. In Xi’an, learn about the city’s place in Chinese history and see the Terracotta Warriors. Witness the transition of China from the old world into the modern era in Shanghai. The tour may be tailored to include a selection of cultural activities or performances in order to enhance an understanding of Chinese culture.
Summary itinerary and highlights
- Day 1: Depart Australia and arrive Beijing.
- Days 2-3: Beijing. Explore Tiananmen Square and the Forbidden City. Visit the Military Museum to investigate 5,000 years of Chinese history.
- Days 4-5: Yan’an. Visit key revolutionary sites and Yangjialing Village, former headquarters of the Chinese Communist Party. Spend time at the Revolutionary Museum.
- Days 6-7: Xi’an. Tour the Muslim Quarter and the city walls. See the famous Terracotta Warriors and the Revolutionary Martyrs Cemetery.
- Days 8-9: Nanjing. Visit the Nanjing Museum and Memorial to the Victims of the Nanjing Massacre.
- Days 10: Shanghai. Walking tour of the Bund and the French Concession. Visit to the Shanghai Museum.
Optional 3-day Hong Kong extension available.
- Rome, Pompeii, the Western Front & Paris
- Roman History and 20th Century Germany
- Ancient and Modern China
- 20th Century Europe: Turkey, Germany, Belgium and France
- 20th Century Europe: France and Germany
- The USA: From Revolution to the Modern World
- Imperialism, Revolution and Power in China
- 20th Century History and Revolutions: France, Germany, Russia