20th Century Europe: France and Germany
Investigate revolution, conflict and the changing world order.
This tour has been designed to reflect the content of the incoming Australian Curriculum Modern History syllabus. Its aim is to allow students a greater understanding of the forces that have shaped the modern world and to better understand the world in which they live.
Students will visit the key sites of the French Revolution in Paris, learning about its causes and consequences. A visit to the battlefields of the Somme Valley will allow students a greater understanding of Australia’s role in World War I. In Germany, learn about the rise of the Nazi party during the interwar years and the development of socialism. Students will visit Wannsee Haus and Dachau concentration camp to gain a deeper insight into Hitler’s ‘Final Solution.’ In Berlin, the focus shifts to the end of WWII and the changing world order from the Cold War to the present day.
Summary itinerary and highlights
- Day 1: Depart Australia.
- Days 2-5: Paris. Panoramic coach tour of the city, including the Eiffel Tower. Learn about the significance of the French Revolution and see key sites. Day trip to the WWI battlefields of the Somme Valley. Visit the palace and gardens at Versailles.
- Days 6-8: Berlin. Learn about the history of the city at The Story of Berlin exhibition. See the Brandenburg Gate, Checkpoint Charlie and the Topography of Terror exhibit. Visit Wannsee Haus and the DDR Museum.
- Days 9-10: Nuremburg. Visit the Nazi Parade grounds and Documentation Centre. See the Palace of Justice and Courtroom 600 where the Nazi trials took place.
- Days 11-12: Munich. Guided visit of Dachau Concentration Camp and Third Reich walking tour of the city centre. Day trip to Hitler’s Eagle’s Nest and Documentation Centre at Obersalzburg.
- Days 13-14: Depart Munich and arrive Australia.
- Rome, Pompeii, the Western Front & Paris
- Roman History and 20th Century Germany
- Ancient and Modern China
- 20th Century Europe: Turkey, Germany, Belgium and France
- 20th Century Europe: France and Germany
- The USA: From Revolution to the Modern World
- Imperialism, Revolution and Power in China
- 20th Century History and Revolutions: France, Germany, Russia