The Classical World: Turkey, Rome & Pompeii
Important Ancient History sites of Turkey and Italy.
This 15 day tour designed specifically for history students begins in Istanbul. Explore the city’s exotic mix of classical, Byzantine and Ottoman cultural heritage before continuing to Gallipoli and the Aegean coast. This tour also enables students of Modern History to view first hand the important battlefields in Turkey where Australians fought and died in the 1914-19 war. The experience of Australians at these sites has played a vital role in defining who we are as a nation. Continuing to Italy, Ancient History students then view first hand some major archaeological sites and museums of the ancient Roman world, including the ‘Cities of Vesuvius’ on the Bay of Naples. In addition to covering a core syllabus area the itinerary provides the opportunity for students to enjoy some of the masterpieces of European art and architecture. There is time to relax and take in the atmosphere of these wonderful cities.
Summary itinerary and highlights
- Day 1: Depart Australia.
- Day 2-4: Istanbul. Tour of Istanbul visiting the Hippodrome, the Blue Mosque, the magnificent Hagia Sophia and descend underground to the Basilica Cisterns. Guided tour of Topkapı Palace. Bosphorus cruise.
- Day 5: Gallipoli. Visit important WWI and Anzac sites.
- Day 6-7: Pergamum and Troy. Visit the archaeological sites of Troy and the spectacular site of Pergamum. Tour of Ephesus, the largest Hellenistic/Roman city in Asia Minor.
- Day 8-10: Rome. Tour of Rome’s iconic sites, including Piazza Navona, Hadrian’s Pantheon and the Trevi Fountain. Tour of the republican and imperial forums, the Circus Maximus, the Colosseum and the Capitoline Museum. View the masterpieces in the Vatican Museum.
- Day 11-13: Bay of Naples. Detailed explorations of Herculaneum and Pompeii archaeological sites with your expert tour leader. Visit the National Archaeological Museum in Naples. Climb to the summit of Mt Vesuvius.
- Day 14-15: Depart Rome, arrive Australia.
- Rome and the Cities of Vesuvius
- The Classical World: Turkey, Rome & Pompeii
- The Classical World: Greece, Rome & Pompeii
- The Classical World: Greece and Turkey
- Ancient Egypt
- Rome, Pompeii, the Western Front & Paris
- Roman History and 20th Century Germany
- Ancient History and Art in Italy
- Ancient and Modern China