Roman History and 20th Century Germany
A study tour for students of Modern and Ancient History
This 15 day program designed specifically for senior students of Modern and Ancient History investigates Germany in the 20th century and the key aspects of Roman history, covering the Cities of Vesuvius core study. The itinerary begins in Germany where students learn about the rise to power of the National Socialist Party in Nuremberg and Munich. In Berlin the group will explore the sites relevant to the Third Reich, the fall of Hitler and the resulting Cold War in Berlin, addressing several modules of the Modern History syllabus. Continuing to Italy, students will conduct detailed explorations of ‘Cities of Vesuvius’ sites, including Herculaneum and Pompeii. The tour finishes in Rome where you will visit iconic sites such as the Colosseum, St Peter’s Basilica, Hadrian’s Pantheon and the Trevi Fountain. Students will enjoy spending time in of two of the great European capitals, rich in history and culture.
Summary itinerary and highlights
- Day 1: Depart Australia
- Day 2-3: Munich. Explore the rise of the National Socialist Party in Munich on a walking tour.
- Day 4-5: Nuremberg. Visit Dachau Concentration Camp and memorial. Tour of the Nazi Party Rally Grounds, documentation centre and Palace of Justice and Courtroom 600.
- Day 6-7: Berlin. Visit the Story of Berlin Museum. Tour of Berlin’s historical highlights, including the Reichstag, the Berlin Wall and the Topography of Terror.
- Day 8-10: Bay of Naples. Detailed explorations of Herculaneum and Pompeii archaeological sites with your expert tour leader. Visit the National Archaeological Museum in Naples. Climb to the summit of Mt Vesuvius.
- Day 11-13: To Rome. Orientation walking tour of Rome’s iconic sites. Tour of the republican and imperial forums, the Circus Maximus, the Colosseum and a tour of the Capitoline Museum. View the masterpieces in the Vatican Museum.
- Day 14-15: Depart Italy, arrive Australia.
- Rome and the Cities of Vesuvius
- The Classical World: Turkey, Rome & Pompeii
- The Classical World: Greece, Rome & Pompeii
- The Classical World: Greece and Turkey
- Ancient Egypt
- Rome, Pompeii, the Western Front & Paris
- Roman History and 20th Century Germany
- Ancient History and Art in Italy
- Ancient and Modern China