The Classical World: Greece and Turkey
Outstanding historic sites in an unforgettable landscape.
This 15 day tour examines civilisation in and around the Aegean Sea, ranging from the “Bronze Age” civilisation and the classical Greek world to the Romans, Byzantines and Ottoman Turks. The first part of the itinerary covers Athens and the islands of Crete and Rhodes, visiting key sites in the development of the Greek world, including sites of the Minoan civilisation, Knossos and Phaistos. Crossing into ‘Asia Minor’ (modern Turkey) we visit Ephesus, Pergamum, Troy and Gallipoli before ending with three nights in Istanbul. As well as the program of sightseeing there is time to relax, observe and appreciate the vibrant modern cultures of Greece and Turkey. Qualified local guides will provide detailed information on the sites you visit. The tour is fully escorted on the ground in Turkey and Greece.
Summary itinerary and highlights
- Day 1: Flights depart Australia.
- Day 2-3: Athens. Detailed exploration of the Acropolis, visiting the Parthenon. Visit the National Archaeological Museum of Athens.
- Day 4-6: Crete. Visit the Museum of Heraklion, one of the largest and most important museums in Greece. Visit the Palace of Knossos and the archaeological site of Phaistos.
- Day 7: Rhodes. Visit to the archaeological site at Lindos.
- Day 8-9: Kuşadası. Tour of Ephesus, the largest Hellenistic/Roman city in Asia Minor and associated museum.
- Day 10-11: Çanakkale. Visit the archaeological sites of Pergamum and Troy. Visit important WWI and Anzac sites at Gallipoli.
- Day 12-13: Istanbul. Visit the Hippodrome, Blue Mosque, the Basilica Cisterns and Hagia Sophia. Guided tour of Topkapı Palace. Enjoy a Bosphorus Cruise.
- Day 14-15: Departure Istanbul, arrive Australia.
- Rome and the Cities of Vesuvius
- The Classical World: Turkey, Rome & Pompeii
- The Classical World: Greece, Rome & Pompeii
- The Classical World: Greece and Turkey
- Ancient Egypt
- Rome, Pompeii, the Western Front & Paris
- Roman History and 20th Century Germany
- Ancient History and Art in Italy
- Ancient and Modern China