The Classical World: Greece, Rome & Pompeii
Experience two great ancient societies.
This 16 day tour explores two ancient cities and a treasure trove of important archaeological sites. The itinerary commences in Greece with a circuit of the Peloponnese, studying ancient Greek settlements. Highlights include visiting the Acropolis and Archaeological Museum in Athens, as well as the sites of Delphi and Olympia. Flying directly from Athens to Rome you begin with visits to the Colosseum, Circus Maximus and Roman Forum. You will also enjoy strolling through the streets, shopping, and visiting such famous icons as the Trevi fountain, St Peter’s Basilica and the Pantheon. The tour finishes by exploring the Bay of Naples region, visiting the ‘Cities of Vesuvius’ destroyed by the eruption of AD79. Here expert guides lead you through the rich and fascinating finds of Pompeii and Herculaneum. The program of sightseeing allows time to relax, observe and appreciate the vibrant modern cultures of these two fantastic countries.
Summary itinerary and highlights
- Day 1: Flights depart Australia.
- Day 2-3: Mycenaean Civilization. Investigate the site of Mycenae, the Treasury of Atreus and Tiryns.
- Day 4: Sparta. Tour the ancient site and museum of Sparta.
- Day 5: Olympia. Tour the site of the first Olympic Games and the associated museum.
- Day 6: Delphi. Visit the spectacular ancient sanctuary.
- Day 7-8: Athens. Detailed exploration of the Acropolis, visiting the Parthenon and other buildings. Visit the National Archaeological Museum of Athens. Overnight Athens.
- Day 9-11: Rome. Walking tour of Rome’s iconic sites. Tour of the republican and imperial forums, the Circus Maximus and the Colosseum. Visit of the Capitoline Museum. View the masterpieces in the Vatican Museum.
- Day 12-14: The Bay of Naples. Detailed investigation of the archaeological sites of Herculaneum and Pompeii. Visit the National Archaeological Museum in Naples. Ascend to the summit of Mount Vesuvius.
- Day 15-16: Departure Italy, arrive Australia.
- Rome and the Cities of Vesuvius
- The Classical World: Turkey, Rome & Pompeii
- The Classical World: Greece, Rome & Pompeii
- The Classical World: Greece and Turkey
- Ancient Egypt
- Rome, Pompeii, the Western Front & Paris
- Roman History and 20th Century Germany
- Ancient History and Art in Italy
- Ancient and Modern China