Ancient and Modern China
Learn about the amazing culture and fascinating history of China
This 12 day tour includes Beijing, Xi’an, Shanghai and Hong Kong and is specifically designed to enhance students’ understanding of Chinese history and culture. As one of our most important neighbours, China is a key element of history in the new Australian Curriculum, in Year 9 and 10, as well as senior secondary years. Australia’s engagement with Asia is also a cross-curriculum priority in the new Australian Curriculum, creating a relevant link across all subject areas. This itinerary includes key sites related to the dynasties of Ming, Qing and Han. Students will be able to compare and contrast the old and new worlds in Shanghai and witness the future in the booming city of Hong Kong. The tour may be tailored to include a selection of cultural activities or performances in order to enhance an understanding of Chinese culture.
Summary itinerary and highlights
- Day 1: Depart Australia and arrive Beijing.
- Days 2-4: Beijing. Explore Tiananmen Square and the Forbidden City. Walking tour of the hutongs of Old Beijing and visit a local family. Tour the grounds of the Summer Palace and hike the Great Wall of China.
- Days 5-7: Xi’an. Tour the city including the Muslim Quarter, city walls and Provincial Museum. See the Terracotta Warriors and listen to a talk by an archaeologist.
- Days 8-9: Shanghai. Visit the Yu Yuan Gardens and the Shanghai Museum. Walking tour of the Bund and the French Concession Area.
- Days 10-11: Hong Kong. Historical walking tour and travel to ‘The Peak’. Visit Temple Street Night Markets.
- Day 12: Depart Hong Kong and arrive Australia.
- Rome and the Cities of Vesuvius
- The Classical World: Turkey, Rome & Pompeii
- The Classical World: Greece, Rome & Pompeii
- The Classical World: Greece and Turkey
- Ancient Egypt
- Rome, Pompeii, the Western Front & Paris
- Roman History and 20th Century Germany
- Ancient History and Art in Italy
- Ancient and Modern China