Rome, Pompeii, the Western Front & Paris
Highlights Modern and Ancient History.
This 15 day itinerary, designed specifically for senior secondary students, addresses key areas of Modern and Ancient history studies: the ‘Cities of Vesuvius’ (Pompeii and Herculaneum) and WWI in France and Belgium. The tour begins in Rome where students will discover the city in the late Republic and early Empire. The tour continues on the Bay of Naples, where the eruption of Mt Vesuvius in AD79 created the best preserved archaeological sites in Europe. The group then fly to Belgium, spending two days on the Western Front, visiting significant battlefield sites and AIF memorials. The program concludes in Paris, a city that offers world-class museums such as Versailles, the Louvre and the Military Museum at Les Invalides. Combined with stunning scenery, spectacular historical sites and the charm of two great European capitals, the journey is sure to be a highlight for both teachers and students.
Summary itinerary and highlights
- Day 1: Depart Australia.
- Day 2-4: Rome. Walking tour of iconic sites including the Pantheon and the Trevi Fountain. Guided visit of the Forum and Colosseum. View the Vatican Museum’s masterpieces and climb the dome of St Peter’s Basilica.
- Days 5-7: Vico Equense (Bay of Naples). Explore the Cities of Vesuvius: Pompeii and Herculaneum. Climb Mt Vesuvius and see the treasures of the Naples Archaeological Museum.
- Days 8-9: Ypres (Belgium). Stop at the sites of important battles and moving memorials relevant to Australia’s involvement in WWI. Visit the In Flanders Field Museum and taste the local chocolates.
- Day 10: Somme Valley. Guided battlefield tour stopping at sites such as Pozières, Villers-Brettoneux, the Franco-Australian Museum and Le Hamel.
- Days 11-13: Paris. City tour and ascend the Eiffel Tower. Visit the Louvre and Les Invalides. Excursion to Versailles to see the palace and gardens.
- Days 14-15: Depart Paris and arrive Australia.
- Rome and the Cities of Vesuvius
- The Classical World: Turkey, Rome & Pompeii
- The Classical World: Greece, Rome & Pompeii
- The Classical World: Greece and Turkey
- Ancient Egypt
- Rome, Pompeii, the Western Front & Paris
- Roman History and 20th Century Germany
- Ancient History and Art in Italy
- Ancient and Modern China