Classic sites and the New Kingdom
This 15 day itinerary is specifically designed for senior secondary students of Ancient History. The program covers both the leading sites of Egypt – including the wonders of the Great Pyramids, the Sphinx and areas related to the New Kingdom, such as Abu Simbel near Aswan, the Valley of the Kings and Luxor. A major highlight of the tour is a three-night cruise from Luxor to Aswan, providing students with enjoyable and relaxing experience whilst visiting interesting and diverse sites. A tour to Egypt covers three key areas of the NSW HSC Ancient History course and can be tailored to meet specific requirements. From the excitement of the souks in Cairo, to the great pyramids of Giza and the serene desert landscapes, Egypt will provide students with an unforgettable experience, rich in history and culture.
Summary itinerary and highlights
- Day 1: Depart Australia.
- Day 2-4: Cairo. Visit the Cairo museum, the archaeological site at Giza, including the Pyramids, and the Step Pyramid of Zoser. Day 5: Minya. Visit the site of the ancient city of Akhetaten at Amarna.
- Day 6-8: Luxor. Visit the Temple of Rameses III, Deir el-Medina, the ruins of Karnak and the Valley of the Kings, including the tomb of Tutankhamun and three kings’ tombs.
- Day 9-11: Nile Cruise. Enjoy sailing down the Nile for three nights, stop at many interesting sites en route.
- Day 12: Abu-Simbel. Flight to the impressive site of Abu Simbel, where Pharaoh Ramses II had two temples carved out of solid rock.
- Day 13: Aswan. Visit a Nubian Village.
- Day 14-15: Return to Cairo. Connecting flights to Australia arrive the following day.
- Rome and the Cities of Vesuvius
- The Classical World: Turkey, Rome & Pompeii
- The Classical World: Greece, Rome & Pompeii
- The Classical World: Greece and Turkey
- Ancient Egypt
- Rome, Pompeii, the Western Front & Paris
- Roman History and 20th Century Germany
- Ancient History and Art in Italy
- Ancient and Modern China