From Classical to Contemporary: Art in Italy and France
Explore the artistic hotspots of Europe.
This 15 day tour for senior Visual Arts students explores the artistic hotspot of Europe on a survey tour. The program is specifically designed to provide students with a great range of material for criticism, appraisal and interpretation. The tour begins in Italy where students will discover the history of art in three cities. Highlights of Rome include the Raphael Rooms and the Sistine Chapel at the Vatican Museums and the Borghese Gallery. In Florence, students visit the collection of Renaissance works at the Uffizi Gallery and will be mesmerised by Michelangelo’s David. The tour continues to Paris where, over five days, students will spend time exploring international renowned galleries and museums. The Louvre’s exceptional painting galleries, the 19th and 20th-century collections of the Musée d’Orsay and Musée National d’Art Moderne at the Pompidou Centre will be highlights of the tour.
Summary itinerary and highlights
- Day 1: Depart Australia.
- Day 2-4: Rome. Walking tour of Rome’s iconic sites and important churches. Visit the Borghese Gallery which houses important works by Caravaggio and Bernini. View the masterpieces in the Vatican Museums.
- Day 5-7: Florence. Guided tour of the Accademia Gallery to see Michelangelo’s David. Explore the famous collections at the Uffizi Gallery.
- Day 7-8: Venice. Visit the Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari church and the Scuola Grande di San Rocco and the golden mosaics of San Marco Basilica. Visit the impressive modern collection at the Peggy Guggenheim Museum.
- Day 9-13: Paris. Visit of the extensive collections of the Louvre Galleries, the modern and contemporary Pompidou Centre and the beautiful collections of the Musée d’Orsay. Enjoy strolling the artistic district of Montmartre and climbing the Eiffel Tower.
- Day 14-15: Depart Paris, arrive Australia.