London, Paris and Venice Music Tour
Enjoy concerts, workshops and explore music history in Europe
This 16 day tour exposes students to a wide range of repertoire and deepens their knowledge of Western music from the Renaissance to the 20th century. There is a particular focus on vocal music in the Renaissance and baroque periods, well suited to schools which have established choirs. The itinerary includes choral performances and workshops at Oxford University, four days in London with classical concerts and a West End show, music in France from the royal court to the cafes and the glorious musical traditions of Venice. Students will also have the opportunity to visit some of Europe’s greatest cultural attractions, such as The Louvre, Versailles, St Mark’s Basilica and the islands of the Venetian lagoon. The itinerary can easily be combined with Drama or English Literature sites for a cross-curriculum tour.
Summary itinerary and highlights
- Day 1: Depart Australia.
- Days 2-3: Arrive London and travel to Oxford University to visit the historic colleges, hear a choral performance and attend a workshop at the Faculty of Music.
- Days 4-7: With four nights in London there is the chance to attend an orchestral music performance and a West End Musical, as well as participate in a workshop at the Guildhall School of Music and learn about professional career formation.
- Days 8-10: In Paris the focus is on the musical life of the city in popular cafes and the tradition of the royal court at Versailles, where masters such as Rameau and Lully worked.
- Days 11-14: Fly to Venice and revel in the great art and architecture of this historic city, and explore its music tradition from St Mark’s to Vivaldi and La Fenice opera house.
- Day 15: Depart Venice
- Day 16: Return Australia.