Theatre history and English literature tour
Greece, Italy and England.
This 16 day itinerary has been designed to align with the learning areas of the Australian Curriculum for senior students. The tour begins in Greece, visiting significant ancient drama sites and investigating the continuing influence of Greek tragedy and comedy. In England, the itinerary emphasises the relationship between text and context in drama and literature. The tour includes ancient theatrical and dramatic sites, including the Theatre of Epidaurus, the Teatro Olimpico in Vicenza and the Globe Theatre. Attend workshops of Commedia dell’Arte in Italy and with the Royal Shakespeare Company in England. See performances at the Globe and in the West End in London. Experience walking tours in the footsteps of Shakespeare and Dickens. This tour has combined the units of Drama and English Literature, however, you may also consider a similar itinerary combining other Arts or History subjects.
Summary itinerary and highlights
- Day 1: Depart Australia.
- Days 2-4: Athens. Visit the Plaka, the Parthenon and New Acropolis Museum. Travel to the impressive ancient theatre at Epidaurus.
- Days 5-6: Rome. Walking tour of the theatres of Ancient Rome and the Colosseum. Attend a Commedia dell’Arte workshop. See the Trevi Fountain and Piazza Navona.
- Day 7: Vicenza. Tour the ancient Verona Arena en route to Vicenza. See the Teatro Olimpico.
- Days 8-11: London. Visit the British Library and Westminster Abbey. Tour Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre and Exhibition, followed by an evening performance at the Globe. Walking tour of key Shakespearean and Dickensian sites. Attend a West End show.
- Days 12-14: Stratford-upon-Avon. Spend a day touring Oxford. Walking tour of Shakespeare’s birthplace and later homes. Full day workshop with the Royal Shakespeare Company.
- Days 15-16: Depart London and arrive Australia.